Table of Contents
GPA and CGPA both are significant figures for students as both together make the mark sheet look better for a student. Maintaining GPA and CGPA marks are very important for a student throughout any course as it makes or shows the performance of the student throughout the course.
GPA is the score which is acquired within a single semester whereas CGPA is the overall score, including the GPA’s acquired in all the semesters and then concluding all the final CGPA is taken out.
What is GPA?
GPA stands for Grade Point Average. It is a method or standard way for measuring the academic performance of an individual throughout a particular unit or semester. Grades can be assigned or given in the form of numerical terms, percentages, letters, etc.
Including every single unit or semester together GPA is then converted into CGPA. Thus for having a high CGPA at the end of any course, students must maintain their GPA marks throughout the course.
- GPA stands for Grade Point Average.
- It is a method or standard way of measuring an individual’s academic performance.
- GPA can be given in the form of numbers, the percentage of letters.
- Including all GPA’s makes it a CGPA.
- For high CGPA, students should maintain a high GPA throughout their course.
GPA to CGPA
GPA and CGPA are entirely connected. Through GPA, CGPA is maintained and taken out. For obtaining a higher level of CGPA, students need to maintain their GPA throughout the course. GPA is the result of a unit or semester, and CGPA is the marks obtained from all the GPAs.
GPA to CGPA Formula:
GPA Formula: Sum of all the courses in a semester ÷ Total Semester Credit Hours.
CGPA Formula: Sum of all the courses taken in a semester ÷ Total Credit Hours Taken in all the semesters
- Full form of GPA is Grade Point Average
- A complete way of CGPA is Cumulative Grade Point Average
GPA to CGPA Conversion Table
|CGPA (10 Point)||GPA (4 Point)||Grade (4 Point Scale)|
|8.0 - 8.4||3.7||A|
|7.5 - 7.9||3.3||B+|
|7.0 - 7.4||3||B|
|6.5 - 6.9||2.7||C+|
|6.0 - 6.4||2.3||C|
|5.5 - 5.9||2||D+|
|5.0 - 5.4||1.7||D|
|<5.0||0 - 1.3||F|
Also Read: CGPA to Percentage
GPA to CGPA Calculator
There are many online sites where GPA to CGPA marks can be converted and calculated. Students need to give their marks of each subject in each semester, by adding the marks and dividing it by the course credit hours of that particular semester GPA of that semester will be obtained.
Similarly, students need to give their overall scores for each semester, the calculator will divide the given targets by the total semester hours conducted during the year and thus the final CGPA of the student will be obtained.
- GPA is the marks of a single semester.
- CGPA is the marks of the overall semesters.
- GPA Formula: Sum of all the courses in a semester ÷ Total Semester Credit Hours.
- CGPA Formula: Sum of all the courses taken in a semester ÷ Total Credit Hours Taken in all the semesters.
How to Convert GPA to CGPA?
- To calculate CGPA, students should add their total marks obtained in all the semesters in a particular subject.
- Students should divide the obtained marks with the number of classes attended by the student i.e. with the credit hours.
- Student, after taking out the CGPA of each subject, students must add the numbers which will conclude and show the final CGPA obtained by a student in a course or in a class.
- In 2017, The Central Board of Secondary Education announced that the 10th Board results will be in the form of CGPA and not in percentage.
- CGPA can be only in even counting. Example: 8, 8.2, 8.4, 8.6, 8.8, 9….
Also Read: Percentage to GPA
What is CGPA?
CGPA is the average marks, which is obtained by a student in all subjects within a course. In 2017, the Central Board of Secondary Education of India announced that the 10th Board results will be in the form of CGPA and the 12th Board results will be in the form of a percentage.
Thus, students of 10th class are told to maintain their academic record all year as including the unit exams the final CGPA was to be calculated.
- Average marks obtained from all subjects within a course.
- In 2017, CBSE ordered that 10th Board results will be in the form of CGPA.
- Students need to maintain their academic record all year to get high CGPA.
- CGPA is always in the form of even counting and can be in points.
- Example of CGPA: 7, 7.2, 7.4, 7.6, 7.8, 8…
Difference Between GPA and CGPA
GPA and CGPA both measure the performance of an individual in a course. The main difference is that GPA measures the performance of a single unit or semester and CGPA measures the performance throughout the course including all units and semesters.
Thus for obtaining a high CGPA, students must earn a high GPA in all the semesters throughout the year. Other differences are as follows:
|Grade Point Average||Cumulative Grade Point Average|
|Measure a single semester’s performance||Measure the overall semester’s performance|
|GPA is for a shorter period||CGPA is for a longer period|
|It is calculated for a semester or term||It is calculated for the entire duration, including all the semesters|
|GPA Formula: Sum of all the courses in a semester ÷ Total Semester Credit Hours||CGPA Formula: Sum of all the courses taken in a semester ÷ Total Credit Hours Taken in all the semesters|
Also Read: Percentage to CGPA Calculator for Engineering
What is the Importance of GPA and CGPA?
GPA and CGPA both are essential as well as both are connected to each other.
Through GPA, CGPA is taken out for a subject. Students must acquire high GPA marks so that they can earn higher CGPA as CGPA is calculated by including all the semester marks and GPA is derived of a single semester.
High GPA and CGPA mark is essential to get admission in top successful universities across the globe. Some of the essential points are:
- GPA should be maintained to get high CGPA.
- Colleges ask for both CGPA and GPA marks of a student during the admission process.
- For various scholarship programs, CGPA and GPA are needed.
- For applying for placements, high CGPA and GPA is needed.
- CGPA and GPA are needed for higher studies program as well.
Also Read: SGPA TO Percentage [Calculator]
Also Read:How to Convert GPA to percentage?
✅ What is the full form of GPA?
Ans. Full-Form of GPA is Grade Point Average.
✅ What is the full form of CGPA?
Ans. The full form of CGPA is Cumulative Grade Point Average.
✅ What is the formula for calculating GPA?
Ans. The formula for calculating GPA is the Sum of all the courses in a semester ÷ Total Semester Credit Hours.
✅ What is the formula for calculating CGPA?
Ans. The formula for calculating CGPA is Sum of all the courses taken in a semester ÷ Total Credit Hours Taken in all the semesters.
✅ Can CGPA be in odd numbers?
Ans. No, CGPA is always calculated in even counting or numbers.
✅ Which is the most important difference between CGPA and GPA?
The most important difference between CGPA and GPA is that GPA is the marks obtained in a single semester or Unit. In contrast, CGPA is the overall mark calculated including all the semesters in a year.
✅ Is 7 or 7.6 a good CGPA?
Ans. 7 or 7.6 is a good CGPA but most of the aboard universities start their cut off at 8.4 or 8.6, thus 7 can be good but more than 8 can be the best shot for universities across the globe.
✅ Is 2.7 a good GPA?
Ans. No, 2.7 is not a good GPA, as it comes under B grade which is just average marks or grade and not good.
✅ What is the National Average GPA marks in India for High School students?
Ans. 3.0 is the National Average GPA in India for High School students
✅ Are GPA and CGPA marks important?
Ans. Yes, GPA and CGPA marks are important as many universities ask for GPA and CGPA marks during the admission process, GPA and CGPA marks are asked during placement selections or in scholarships, etc.