Nowadays, data is primarily used to drive business decisions, which means having the right reporting dashboard is essential for executives to get a quick overview of a company’s performance and to help in business decision-making.
However, many executives and business owners need to pay more attention to this information in exchange for a business intelligence solution. It might be challenging to decide between a reporting dashboard and a business intelligence solution when they have access to so many different types of data. It’s essential to understand a few important aspects when a company has to choose a reporting dashboard and business intelligence solution.
A reporting dashboard, which offers a comprehensive business performance assessment, acts as your organization’s control panel. Data analytics and dashboard tools work together to support data-driven action. These tools assist businesses in quickly identifying overall company health based on metrics known as key performance indicators (KPIs). Dashboards improve the ultimate efficiency of corporate analytics by enabling users to quickly visualize and examine data, which leads to better decision-making and, ultimately, more success.
A reporting dashboard offers the following essential elements that are critical to your business intelligence success:
- A snapshot of how your company is performing
- An “at a glance” viewing of business performance
- Instant access to company information
- Easy-to-monitor KPIs
This is exactly how SAP Analytics Cloud delivers the right reporting dashboard to make decisions without doubt and act with confidence. So, what is SAP Analytics Cloud? It is the analytics and planning solution within the SAP Business Technology Platform, SAP Analytics Cloud supports trusted insights and integrated planning processes enterprise-wide to help you make decisions. (Read the announcement)
SAP Datasphere, together with SAP Analytics Cloud, can combine your data sources and extract insights from them based on stories. Effective data visualizations make your data appear alive in the story. The arrangement of charts, graphs, tables, and other visual components tells the story of your business or organization. You will begin visualizing the insightful data you obtained and be ready to share those insights with your stakeholders.
In this blog post, let us take a look at how we can consume SAP SuccessFactors data exposed via an analytic model which we have built using SAP Datasphere in my previous article(Connecting SAP SuccessFactors and SAP Datasphere) for the Talent Analysis Metrics in SAP Analytics Cloud.
- Connecting SAP SuccessFactors and SAP Datasphere (click here)
- Bring SAP SuccessFactor Data into SAP Datasphere(click here)
- Modeling SAP SuccessFactors Data in SAP Datasphere(click here)
- Building Analytic Models for SAP SuccessFactors KPI (click here)
- Build SAP Analytics Cloud’s Dashboard for SAP SuccessFactors KPI (this blog)
You need to have:
- SAP BTP global account setup and to entitled the SAP Datasphere Cloud Foundry environment please follow the excellent blog How to create SAP Datasphere service instance in the SAP BTP Platform?
- A SAP SuccessFactors instance.
- Create or have access to an SAP Analytics Cloud live data connection to your SAP Datasphere tenant. For more information, see the official SAP Analytics Cloud documentations
Let’s proceed Step By Step
Before we start, ensure that you have followed and completed the steps mentioned in the following blog posts:
- The first blog post Connecting SAP SuccessFactors and SAP Datasphere, will help you to connect SAP SuccessFactors and SAP Datasphere.
- The second blog post, Bring SAP SuccessFactors Data into SAP Datasphere, is to imports the SAP SuccessFactors tables and replicate their data in SAP Datasphere.
- The third blog post Modeling SAP SuccessFactors Data in SAP Datasphere, is to create an Analytical Dataset that contains information about a simple KPI or a metric for Talent Analysis.
- The fourth blog post Building Analytic Models for SAP SuccessFactors KPI, is to build an Analytic Model to enhance the business semantic layer and provide advanced multi-dimensional capabilities.
Navigate to SAP Analytics Cloud
You can create live data connections to SAP Datasphere systems, and access any SAP Datasphere Analytical Dataset, Analytic Model or Perspective within SAP Analytics Cloud.
In the top right of the shell bar, you able to easily navigate to SAP Analytics Cloud.
Data Visualization (Stories)
Stories represent the dashboard and reporting features of SAP Analytics Cloud and provide you a way to bring data and visualizations together to tell the story of your business.
You can create a story with a template or from scratch. With a template, the theme, branding, layout, and object placeholders are already in the story to help you build your story faster. When building from scratch, you can choose to begin blank with a Responsive page, Canvas page, Grid page, or from a Smart Discovery.
To create a story, in Stories from the Main Menu/Navigation bar, click Responsive or Canvas Tiles.
The Optimized Design Experience improves performance within SAP Analytics Cloud stories and enables content within an SAP Analytics Cloud story to load faster. This mode has some useful new features but it does not include all the features that are currently supported in the Classic Design mode.
Select Optimized Design Experience, then Click Create.
Adding Data to a story
The first step in creating a story is to import data. You can import data as a dataset or model from an external data source into a new story. You can import and immediately use data to create visualizations within your story.
Select the Add Data option in Tools tab. The Let’s add some data! dialog is displayed.
Users may choose to import data from a file, acquire data from a source/connection, or use data acquired from an existing model or dataset.
Select Data from an existing dataset or model: for data stored in SAP Datasphere. For more information on how to leverage SAP Datasphere data in stories, check Live Data Connections to SAP Datasphere.
In the left panel of the Select Dataset or Model dialog, select an SAP Datasphere connection. The application lists all the spaces and data available in your SAP Datasphere system.
Select an Analytical Dataset, an Analytic Model or a Perspective.
Use Charts to Visualize Data
Let us create charts in SAP Analytics Cloud stories to display your data. There are many ways to visualize your data, from bar charts and waterfall charts to tree maps or pie charts.
Once you’ve picked a chart type, selected your model and added measures and dimensions, you can move onto other tasks such as adding a variance or an axis break, or changing how the data is displayed.
From the toolbar, under Insert, select Chart OR Drag a Chart from the assets list.
From Currently Selected Chart you can select a chart to your SAP Analytics Cloud story, choose the best for your analysis
From Chart Orientation, for specific selected chart, such as Bar/Column, Box Plot, Waterfall, and so on, you can change whether you want your chart to be displayed in a Vertical or Horizontal orientation.
After you select a chart type and orientation, From Measures and Dimensions, you can select the measures and dimensions to display in each area of your chart.
Now click on Add Measures
You can add multiple measures and multiple dimensions to your chart. When measures or dimensions are part of a hierarchy, or when a dimension has attributes, you can expand them and select their children, or expand a dimension and select its attributes.
Select the Measure. for our case it is Number of Ratings.
Similarly click on Add Dimension and select the Dimension. for our case we need to expand the Department dimension and select the name attributes.
We can style the appearance of SAP Analytics Cloud story widgets by changing fonts, colours, axis scaling on charts, and so on.
In Builder panel you can switch to the styling by selecting the little brush on the right. you change page and chart background and Chart’s font colour.
It is best practice to save regularly. Before moving on, click on Save.
You’ve now added the chart to your story successfully, and it displays the number of ratings for each department. similarly you can add the chart to your story to show number of Rating for different location and business unit.
Revisit Talent Analysis Metrics KPI
In my previous blogs(Modeling SAP SuccessFactors Data in SAP Datasphere), we discussed a simple KPI for Talent Analysis.
Check the team’s potential by giving insights into employee performance metrics based on locations, business units and departments. [This business requirements defines the business objective at a high level and is non-technical].
To connect and model the SAP SuccessFactors data in SAP Datasphere and to visualize it into SAP Analytics Cloud helps us to understand Talent Analysis Metrics for meaningful decisions.
Let us consider another KPI which executives and business owners want to investigate.
Gender Diversity into employee performance metrics.[Extended business metric]
One way to calculate it is to check the number of female top performers compared to male top performers.
(Female-total top performers ÷ Total Top performers) × 100(Male-total top performers ÷ Total Top performers) × 100
We can reuse the same analytical model in the SAP Analytics cloud to create dashboard for the above KPI without changing it in SAP Datasphere. Let’s do that.
You can create custom calculations for your charts such as aggregations, calculated or restricted measures, value-based dimensions, and so on. When you create calculations for your charts you can include them as either measures or dimensions; the dimension calculations are added as cross calculations.
From the toolbar, under Insert, select Chart again and then from Currently Selected Chart click on dropdown to select the Chart Type.
Numeric point chart is an Indicator charts used to show a business’s metrics by amount. It required at least one primary value, but they can have multiple primary and secondary values. In both cases, only a single data point is displayed.
Select Numeric point charts
Click to select +At least 1 Measure required to add Primary Values.
select Add Dimension to open Calculation Editor.
The Calculation Editor is used to create the calculations that can be added to your charts.
For each type of calculation, a new calculated or restricted member is created for the dimension that you used to create it. You can also use dimension attributes as part of a calculation. For more information about dimension attributes, see Combine Data with Your Acquired Data.
To calculate Total Top Performer we can need to
- Select Restricted Measure from the list.
- Enter a name for the restricted measure.
- In the Measure section, select a measure from the list for us it’s Number of Ratings.
- In the Dimensions section, select a dimensions along which you want to restrict the measure for us it’s Category.
Beside dimension, under Values, select Click to Select Values, and then choose an option Select by Member.
Select values from the list of available members. You can use (Search) to find specific values. for us select Top Performers.
Now charts shows the Total Top Performers metrics.
Similarly, we can again use theCalculation Editorwith the typeRestricted Measureto calculate theFemale Top Performers, but this time we add two dimensions forselection context1)CategoryvaluesTop Performersand 2)GendervaluesF(Female).
To calculate the Female Top Performers Percentage once again we will use Calculation Editor with type Calculated Measure and get the value of Female Top Performers ÷ Total Top Performers
Formatting the Values
For testing purpose, I have added all the calculated or restricted measures in Numeric point chart but our objective to show the Female Top Performers Percentage.
Remove the calculated measures which is not required.
choose an included measure to apply the formatting and select format
In formatting Dialog, Uncheck the use of underlying measures then select Scale to Percentage and Click OK.
In Builder panel switch to the styling by selecting the little brush on the right and change the chart’s background and font colour.
Now you have a charts shows the Female Top Performers percentagemetrics.
Now you have an idea how to do the custom calculations for your charts. you can use the same steps to calculate Male Top Performers Percentage.
Note: You can add many charts to your story, and you can have more than one chart on a page. Choosing different types of charts display different aspects of your data.
Performance Analysis Dashboard
You can build the Performance Analysis Dashboard by choosing the different types of charts to display various aspects of data. The dashboard you build can offer an analysis of performance considering multiple factors such as length of service, rating and equality.
SAP SuccessFactors is a source system. If required, you can create connections to different source systems and use other methods to bring data into the SAP Datasphere and get insights by analyzing the data and modeling this data to show you the connections that you are looking for; then, you can visualize it all with the SAP Analytics Cloud using a Story.
For example, you can calculate each employee’s commitment score using Qualtrics survey and, by using different methods, connect it with SAP Datasphere for Sentiment analysis.
The dashboard we have built reflects the overall performance measures of the workforce system of a company. With this performance analysis dashboard, you can measure the following organizational goals of human resources management:
- Check employee performance metrics
- Gender Diversity into employee performance metrics.
- Gender Pay equity based on the salary data
- Sentiment analysis – Employee commitment
- Talent Satisfaction – How satisfied are your employees? Etc.
Summary and Conclusion
In this blog post series, you have seen how we can get insights by analysing your data in the SAP Datasphere and modeling this data to show you the connections you are looking for. Then, you can visualize it all using a Story with the SAP Analytics Cloud.
We have built stories that are rich in interactivity directly on SAP Datasphere Models and easily explored charts and data quickly using the responsive and intuitive interface.
SAP HANA Cloud, SAP Analytics Cloud and SAP Datasphere are essential parts of the SAP Data strategy. The combination is a powerful tool that is designed for complex analytics scenarios based on hybrid system architectures.
Before this blog post series comes to an end, I would like to thank my team at SAP for their continuous support and expressspecial gratitudetoUma AnbazhaganandPVN PavanKumar, who supported me in validating and publishing this post series.
Well, that’s it from my side! I appreciate your patience and following this blog post series. We are very interested to hear about your own experiences and ideas on other SAP Datasphere use cases for SAP or Non-SAP solutions.
With a solid understanding of the SAP Datasphere and SAP Analytics Cloud and the provided step-by-step guide, you should be well-equipped to start your own scenario.
Keep your anticipation high and Stay curious!
Reference & Further Reading
For more information and related blog posts on thetopic page for SAP Datasphere.
If you have questions about SAP Datasphere you can submit them in theQ&A area for SAP Datasphere in the SAP Community.
- Enter a name for the connection.
- Enter the SAP SuccessFactors User ID of the user you want to acquire data from. ...
- Enter the API Key used to connect to SAP SuccessFactors. ...
- Under Private Key, select and upload the certificate file that you generated during the SAP SuccessFactors registration process.
Boardroom - Cockpit for the Management
Boardroom bundles the dashboards you create from SAC so you can use them to gain real-time insight and make critical decisions for top management.
Key performance indicators (KPIs)How do I create a SAP analytics Cloud? ›
- Create Your First Story. ...
- Visualize your Data with Charts. ...
- Visualize your Data with Tables. ...
- Visualize your Data with Geo Maps. ...
- Apply Filters to your Story. ...
- Augment your Story with Smart Features.
SAP Analytics Cloud can connect to various on-premise and cloud data sources, including SAP HANA, SAP S/4HANA, SAP BW/4HANA, SAP BusinessObjects solutions, SAP Business Planning and Consolidation, SQL, OData, Google BigQuery, and many more.Which systems can SAP Analytics Cloud connect to? ›
SAP Analytics Cloud can connect to various data sources both cloud and on-premise. Two most common methods are Live and Acquire(Import) data connection.Which software is used to build KPI dashboard? ›
Some of the best KPI dashboard software for KPI tracking are Datapad, Klipfolio, Geckoboard, Databox, Mixpanel, Arena Calibrate, Zoho Analytics, Mode, InetSoft, Tableau, Praxie, Smarten Augmented Analytics and DashThis.How do I create a performance analytics dashboard? ›
To create a Performance Analytics dashboard, open Performance Analytics > Dashboards and click the New button. Configure the dashboard. Name: Name of the dashboard that appears in the dashboard selector. Group: Where to place the dashboard in the dashboard selection list.What data visualization tool is best for dashboards? ›
- Microsoft Power BI: Best for business intelligence (BI)
- Tableau: Best for interactive charts.
- Qlik Sense: Best for artificial intelligence (AI)
- Klipfolio: Best for custom dashboards.
- Looker: Best for visualization options.
- Zoho Analytics: Best for Zoho users.
There are three fundamental components that are the foundation of everything that you can create with SAP Analytics Cloud: data, models and stories.
- The number of insights generated per month. ...
- The number of decision-makers who use analytics regularly. ...
- The accuracy of predictions made by the analytics team. ...
- Speed at which the analytics team can generate results. ...
- The percentage of uptime for systems and data pipelines.
What are the differences between KPIs and analytics? KPIs are performance metrics that tell you if organizational goals are being met, while other analytics might tell you what's driving that performance.Is SAP Analytics Cloud free? ›
Try SAP Analytics Cloud for free
Start your digital transformation today with a free trial for up to 90 days* of SAP Analytics Cloud; connect your data sources, model your data, create visualizations, add augmented analytics, and try predictive planning.
Overall, SAP Analytics Cloud is a valuable tool for organizations looking to harness the power of data and make informed business decisions. Pros: Unified platform: SAP Analytics Cloud combines business intelligence, planning, and predictive analytics, providing a comprehensive solution for data-driven decision-making.Is SAP Analytics Cloud difficult to learn? ›
The learning journey is geared towards the business user, so you don't need to be a data scientist to successfully use augmented analytics in SAP Analytics Cloud. In fact, you don't need any prior AI or machine learning knowledge and it's easy to understand!What are the key benefits of using SAP Analytics Cloud? ›
Improved Planning– SAP Analytics Cloud brings ML (Machine Learning) and Predictive analytics-based features to help you build accurate plans related to expenses and costs in a quick time. Predictive features of SAC can automate the baseline expense planning by analyzing the previous data.What are the fundamental components of SAP Analytics Cloud? ›
SAP Analytics Cloud has three fundamental components: data, models, and stories.Which programming language is SAP Analytics Cloud? ›
The SAP Concur API has an 800,000 row limit per model refresh. For all other data sources: 800,000 rows; 100 columns.What is the difference between KPI and dashboard? ›
Key Performance indicators (KPIs) are individual metrics that can be displayed on a dashboard to track key measurements. You can think of them as a single important number that is displayed in large text. Dashboards are a collection of Insights and KPIs put together on a page.
- Choose the KPIs and metrics to track.
- Select your data sources.
- Understand the intended audience.
- Build your dashboard with meaningful and straightforward graphs.
- Share the dashboard.
- Determine the Key Strategic Objectives. ...
- Describe the Intended Results. ...
- Understand Alternative Performance Measures. ...
- Select the Right Measure(s) For Each Objective. ...
- Define Composite Indices as Needed. ...
- Set Targets and Thresholds.
- Decide on the Goal of Creating Dashboards.
- Identify Your Data Sources.
- Choose the Right Chart Type.
- Define What Metrics You Want to Track.
- Pick Your Colors When Building Dashboards.
- Ensure that Your Dashboards are Mobile-Optimized.
- Onboard Your Team Members.
To create or edit a Salesforce Dynamic Dashboard, navigate to the Dashboards tab, click New Dashboard to create or click on an existing dashboard to edit. First, when building a new dashboard, name it, add a description if you'd like, and select the right folder for proper organization.What is the difference between dashboard and data visualization? ›
A Dashboard is a snapshot, or summary, of a large set of information. Data Visualization and a Dashboard are often used together. Data Visualization gives a detailed look at the information as a whole, and a Dashboard provides a summary of the same information.What are three software tools used to create data visualization? ›
The best data visualization tools include Google Charts, Tableau, Grafana, Chartist. js, FusionCharts, Datawrapper, Infogram, ChartBlocks, and D3. js. The best tools offer a variety of visualization styles, are easy to use, and can handle large data sets.What is the difference between dashboard and visualization? ›
Dashboard is a presentation of key performance indicators (KPIs) important to an enterprise. Database and data analytics professionals often build, use, and support dashboards. Data visualization is the application of data science to extract intelligence from data sources, often in a graphical format.What are the 3 main types of data in SAP? ›
Data types can be divided into elementary, reference, and complex types. These are data types of fixed or variable length that are not made up of other types.What are the 4 pillars of data analytics? ›
The four pillars of data science are domain knowledge, math and statistics skills, computer science, communication and visualization. Each is essential for the success of any data scientist. Domain knowledge is critical to understanding the data, what it means, and how to use it.What are the 4 pillars of cloud computing? ›
These include data storage, servers, databases, networking, and software.
- Setout your aims. Before starting to analyze, you will need to define a clear set of goals that cover the problem or issue you're trying to resolve. ...
- Define your measures. ...
- Collect your data. ...
- Analyze your data. ...
- Visualize your KPIs and the results.
While a benchmark has a company comparing its processes, products and operations with other entities, a key performance indicator (KPI) measures how well an individual, business unit, project and company performs against their strategic goals.Why are KPIs important in data analytics? ›
KPIs play a crucial role in assisting an entire organization's efforts to ensure that they meet their desired end results. KPIs are important for organizations because they can help them in ensuring that all the teammates are providing value by tracking their performances with the help of key performance indicators.Are key metrics and KPIs the same? ›
KPIs measure performance based on key business goals while metrics measure performance or progress for specific business activities. KPIs are strategic while metrics are often operational or tactical.How much does SAP cloud cost? ›
SAP Business One Cloud Express Edition PaaS model
Pricing is as follows: Financial Only: $645 base fee. $185 Pro, $135 Limited per user/per month.
Customers of SAP Analytics Cloud
Around the world in 2023, over 7477 companies have started using SAP Analytics Cloud as Business Intelligence (BI) tool.
SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC) is a Software-as-a-Service-Platform (SaaS-Platform) for SAP's Business Intelligence (BI). SAP Analytics Cloud was developed to combine all analysis functions like ad-hoc analysis / self-service, dashboarding and planning within one product for all users.How much does a SAP Analytics Cloud Analyst earn? ›
How much does a Sap Analytics Cloud make? As of May 18, 2023, the average annual pay for a Sap Analytics Cloud in the United States is $127,492 a year.Which cloud is best for SAP? ›
Azure provides best-in-class infrastructure and SAP provides end-to-end managed services for in-memory applications, database and platform. You'll see the broadest choice and industry-leading performance when running your SAP workloads on Azure.Does SAP Analytics Cloud require coding? ›
You do not need ANY coding expertise.
- Create Your First Story. ...
- Visualize your Data with Charts. ...
- Visualize your Data with Tables. ...
- Visualize your Data with Geo Maps. ...
- Apply Filters to your Story. ...
- Augment your Story with Smart Features.
SAP Analytics Cloud evolved out of the SAP Cloud for Planning product, which was released in February 2015.Can we learn SAP in 3 months? ›
Choose SAP, take up the virtual counselling, learn SAP, get certified in 6-10 weeks based on your learning capabilities and the course you have chosen.How do I connect to SAP Cloud Platform? ›
- Install the Cloud Connector: Installation.
- Perform the initial configuration for the Cloud Connector: Initial Configuration.
- Register the Cloud Connector for your SAP BTP subaccount: Managing Subaccounts.
- Go to Provisioning.
- Make sure that the flag "Customer has Workforce Analytics License" is enabled.
- Create the WFA cube.
- Once the cube is created, go to Provisioning again.
- Click on Sync WFA Cube Info button.
- From the Modeler start page, go to the Public Dimensions tab.
- Select the check box beside the public dimension that you want to import data to.
- Select (Import Data).
- Choose the data source that you want to import data from; for example, File.
Generic Object exports are performed in Admin Center in Employee Files > Import and Export Data. Export data from the system by selecting Export Data in the Select the action to perform dropdown.How do I access SAP Analytics Cloud? ›
After you create an SAP Analytics Cloud account, or one is created for you, you'll receive a welcome email. Click the activation button in the email to activate your account. You'll need to enter some information about yourself, and set your password.How do I monitor SAP Cloud Connector? ›
- Log on to SAP Cloud Connector System as administrative user.
- Verify that at least one connection is set up to SAP Cloud Platform.
- Navigate to Monitor Settings.
- Activate Data Supplier: Press the button “Solution Management”. ...
- From Log And Trace File section, check in Logs if the registration was successful.
- Select Manage Standard Dashboards and YouCalc Files. ...
- Select a domain - it will open all domains.
- after you selected a domain Press (Create) it will open another screen.
- * General Info.
- # Enter the Name with Description (Next)
- * People. ...
- # Levels - Direct Reports (Next)
- * Chart Data.
The SAP SuccessFactors Workforce Analytics solution empowers your HR professionals, analysts, and business partners to answer questions quickly and accurately about your workforce. Data-driven insights can help you influence business decisions with an evidence-based HR approach.How do you implement workforce analytics? ›
- Start with a workforce problem or question that the organization wants or need to solve. ...
- Determine what information managers or executives would need in order to make a decision about their problem or question. ...
- Determine the benchmark or goal for the problem or question.
Go to SAP BTP
Get information on the foundation for this and other SAP applications and services, the SAP Business Technology Platform.
The SAP data warehouse cloud powered by SAP HANA Cloud services is an integrated approach to offer enterprises an end-to-end data management and decision-making cloud solution.How do I download data models in SuccessFactors? ›
- Go to help portal site for Employee Central Handbook URL:
- Click on link below Configuration files. ...
- Click on Installation and Upgrade.
- Scroll down and select the configuration files that you need.
- Scroll up and Add selected items to download basket.
- Scroll to bottom and click on Download basket button.
- Select the CSV format for your export file choice. Parameters. ...
- Select the Include User Compensation Data check box. To include all relevant compensation data in the file, including eligibility information, select both check boxes under Include User Compensation Data. ...
- Click Export User File.
Now that you know all that you need to know about data models and DTDs let us cruise through the 4 main data models used in Employee Central.